Manitoulin District 2019
Northern Projections: Human Capital Series - Manitoulin District
June 6, 2019 | Dr. Bakhtiar Moazzami
Northeastern Ontario covers approximately 276,124 square kilometres and recorded a population of 548,449 in 2016. Increasing levels of out-migration of youth, declining fertility rates, and lower levels of immigration have resulted in an age distribution of the population in Northeastern Ontario that is different from that of Ontario. These demographic changes have a significant impact on social and economic conditions in the region. The population will continue to age in the foreseeable future, with implications for healthcare costs, supply of labour, production capacity, and the ability of the Northeastern Districts to remain economically viable.
The purpose of this report is to analyze demographic and labour market trends in Northeastern Ontario and the District of Manitoulin. Both past and current trends are examined, as well as projections into the future. This report is an update to a previous report published in 2017 but with updated information using 2016 census data, as well as additional sections including sector-specific projections for future labour market demand.
The report offers three key recommendations to promote the long-term sustainability of the Manitoulin District:
1. Continue to build on Indigenous partnerships.
2. Address the educational needs of men and re-engage them in the workforce.
3. Recruit youth to care for the elderly.
Continue Reading → Read the Release
Do not miss out on a Research Report. Subscribe to our updates here!
- Income and Employment Multipliers for 20 Industries in 11 Census Divisions in Northern Ontario
- Northern Projections: Human Capital Series - Manitoulin District
- The Northern Attraction Series | No. 1: Exploring the Need for a Northern Newcomer Strategy
In the Media
- September 11, 2019 - Northern News Kirkland Lake - Growing need for health care workers in north says report
- June 10, 2019 - The Sudbury Star - Newcomer attraction strategy needed: Workforce report