Nipissing District 2019
Northern Projections: Human Capital Series - Nipissing District
July 25, 2019 | Dr. Bakhtiar Moazzami
Northeastern Ontario covers approximately 276,124 square kilometres and recorded a population of 548,449 in 2016. Increasing levels of youth out-migration, declining fertility rates, and lower levels of immigration have resulted in a skewed age distribution towards an older population than that of Ontario. The population will continue to age in the foreseeable future, with implications for healthcare costs, supply of labour, production capacity, and the ability of the Northeastern Districts to remain economically viable.
The purpose of this report is to analyze demographic and labour market trends in Northeastern Ontario and Nipissing District. Both past and current trends are examined, as well as projections into the future. This report is an update to a previous report published in 2017 but with updated information using 2016 census data, as well as additional sections including sector-specific projections for future labour market demand.
The report offers three key recommendations to promote the long-term sustainability of the district:
1. Continue marketing the district of Nipissing as a desirable destination for secondary migration in Ontario
2. Continue to build and strengthen Indigenous partnerships.
3. Recruit youth to care for the elderly.
Continue Reading Read the Release
Do not miss out on a Research Report. Subscribe to our updates here!
- Income and Employment Multipliers for 20 Industries in 11 Census Divisions in Northern Ontario
- Northern Projections: Human Capital Series - Nipissing District
- The Northern Attraction Series | No. 1: Exploring the Need for a Northern Newcomer Strategy