A University for Timmins? Possibilities and Realities
November 15, 2017 | Dr. Ken Coates
Research from Northern Policy Institute finds the prospects of Timmins securing a stand-alone English university to be limited based on a number of factors, including demographic considerations, the availability of other institutions, and the provincial government’s financial realities. While there may not be a strong case for a new post-secondary institution in Ontario’s Northeast, Dr. Ken Coates puts forward several alternatives for community leaders in his report. These include developing a satellite campus of an existing university, developing an expanded, coordinated Northern College-University partnership and considering alternative approaches to traditional university programming such as an Indigenous institution for Ontario or a work-focused institution for the province.
- March 12, 2018 - Timmins Daily Press - Meeting to expand university access in Timmins
- March 12, 2018 - SooToday - Algoma University eyeing further expansion into Timmins area by next year
- November 16, 2017 - CTV News Northern Ontario - Timmins wants a university
- November 15, 2017 - Net Newsledger- Timmins Seeks Stand-Alone University
- November 15, 2017 - Timmins Daily Press - New post-secondary system could 'revolutionize the North'
- November 15, 2017 - Timmins Daily Press - Northern College partnering to expand post-secondary options
- November 15, 2017 - Wawa-News - New Report Examines the Potential for a University in Timmins
- November 15, 2017 - Kiss 99.3 - NPI looks into possible English-speaking university in Timmins
- January 10, 2017 - CBC News Sudbury - If you build it, 'will they come?': university campus considered for Timmins
- Making the Grade? Education Trends in Northern Ontario by Mike Commito
- Northern Projections: Human Capital Series - Cochrane District by Dr. Bakhtiar Moazzami & James Cuddy
- It’s What You Know (And Where You Can Go). Human Capital and Agglomeration Effects on Demographic Trends in Northern Ontario by Dr. Bakhtiar Moazzami